Monday, April 19, 2010

109/365

CLEAN HOUSE
My mother died almost 16 years ago. I was 23. Memories are starting to fade a little, unfortunately, even in that amount of time. I guess there's no other loss like that of your mother - though I can think of a few that are close... It's sad that my mother wasn't there to help me choose my wedding dress or decorate my first house - all the things and events that were missed... but the worst thing for me is that I feel like I can't remember her voice. It's strange but sometimes I can't remember what she sounded like.

My mother-in-law passed away two months ago yesterday. Two months already! My sisters-in-law and I spent the day today going through her things. I think this may have been the first time I've been back in the house - since the day after the funeral... the day I found out I was pregnant. I'll miss her smile and calling her with gardening and recipe questions and hearing her say "Hi, Jeannine (and David and Lily)" when we walked in the door.... One day I'll probably forget the sound of her voice too - though it still seemed like I heard it when I walked in today.

Will the treasures and trinkets that you save in a little box or jar mean anything to anyone else when you are gone? We went through the cupboards and the closets and the drawers and separated and threw away and boxed up... How do you go through a lifetime of possessions? How do you decide what's worth keeping?



When you die - what do you want people to remember about you?

No comments: