Wednesday, September 11, 2013

253/365

MELANCHOLY BABY
I could taste it a little the other day... when the girls and I took Aunt Gloria to the cemetery and the mall to try to find shoes for her. We were laughing our asses off out in the parking lot trying to figure out how to put the wheelchair together and then all of a sudden it hit me when we stepped in Crate and Barrel.

It was a little difficult, in more ways than one, trying to maneuver the chair through the maze of enchanting furniture and tables but I somehow managed to work my way to the bins of little tools - straight to the sugar tongs.  I tasted it there. I had the tongs in my hand and I debated whether to get them or not... I have sugar tongs somewhere. Probably have some here and just can't find them. I didn't really want to buy another set.  I was mad about that. I shouldn't have to buy another set.  I kind of zoned out a little in front of the bins - though I could still hear the faint cry of Chrissy questioning "who the fuck uses sugar tongs anyway?"

I use sugar tongs.

I'm very fond of the sugar cube. I don't really use sugar much but I think cubes should be offered to guests with their coffee and such.  Sugar cubes are awesome.  So are sugar tongs.

We went on our way and I tasted it again... I can't even remember where we were but I walked by a little gray cable knit dress.  Toddler size. It had the cutest little black leather jacket to go with it. I walked by and then came back and Cara found me there kind of frozen - just staring at it.

We moved on with the day and ended at Pottery Barn.  With every thing I would pick up I would smile and then get this funny taste in my mouth...  We brought Glo back a little before 9 and got her settled.  The three of us decided on where to go to dinner and walked to the cars. Cara went back with Chrissy and I got in my car. I put the key in the ignition and suddenly felt incredibly sick.  I thought at first that I was just coming off of a whirlwind day and finally had some silence being in the car by myself - but it wasn't that.

Only when we were sitting there eating dinner did I realize what it was. I told them I felt like I just ate a Littmus Lozenge... I had to explain to them what I was talking about... it was a Winn Dixie reference.  I tasted melancholy.  Just like in the movie with the candies that were made with sadness.

I tasted it again that night when I was going through all the Pottery Barn catalogs and the next day at the antiques fair and just last night while I was flipping through the IKEA catalog...

It's a funny taste.  All sweet and sorrowful.

The melancholy river bears us on.  When the moon comes through the trailing willow boughs, I see your face, I hear your voice and the bird singing as we pass the osier bed.  What are you whispering?  Sorrow, sorrow. Joy, joy. Woven together, like reeds in moonlight. ~ Virginia Woolf

No comments: