Friday, August 7, 2015

THESE ARE DAYS
We're headed back to PSU.  It was up in the air last week whether or not we were going to stay. We decided not to, but this time was different.

Bags were packed...

Snacks were in the car…
Hello, experimental paint lines. I love you.
I wonder how many times I've said "tie your own shoe laces" when I passed by this sign...
Or cheered when I got to this one…
Our first stop was here…
My mother would always get the silver dollar pancakes…
We've been trying to stop at this antique store for the last few years and never got around to it. Finally, we did. It was so disappointing, but at least we can check that off of our places to stop list. (We do actually keep a list.)
This trip wasn't all fun and games… we were at the final countdown. We had 24 hours to finish packing up and do all the cleaning.  We got that place cleaner than it was when they moved in. We made friends with the new girl downstairs and actually brought her up to see if she wanted anything and we may or may not have asked a few other strangers that crossed our path if they could use extra furniture. We didn't think we would be able to get Glo's stuff in the car and, honestly, I didn't know what I was going to do with everything if I took them back. My storage units are already loaded and this would just add to the mess.
It was a difficult decision. I debated for awhile - like hours. I felt like I had to do it... 
We ended up taking her tables and lamps to Goodwill!  Can you believe it?!? I actually parted with something. I'm hoping some mid century modern loving student will love them and give them a good home. 

Exhausted and starving, we made our way to the hotel to drop our stuff off.
Then we went for a late, late dinner at The Allen Street Grill. We sat at the cozy corner table for two and I have to admit that we were teary eyed, on occasion, for many reasons.. 
It looks like no one is out and about but it was actually quite busy. I must have just shot this the second no one was around. We watched both the students and old folks in alumni shirts making their way back and forth and my head was spinning. 

You know, the whole day was kind of weird… 
It was this constant in and out of moving trucks, old furniture and the sounds of bottles being thrown in the dumpster.  I kept stopping to look out the window. It was hard to tell which were the kids that have been there and were on their way home to start a new adventure versus the new kids that were coming in replacing them - soon to start their next adventure.   I never would have known it wasn't 1993. Except maybe for the obnoxious dad with the "left shark" t shirt on bro hugging his son's old roommates before they left.  Even still, it's like time stands still there. I stood in awe and in sadness.   I've moved the Murphy children in and out of quite a few places. It's always fun and exhausting. This time, it was a little hard to catch my breath.

My saving grace was knowing that I had a bunch of brochures and the Town & Gown and hotel coffee waiting for me back at Days Inn...
...and a few hours of sleep before we'd be back at it again in the morning...

No comments: