Monday, June 24, 2013

175/365

AT THE MOVIES

I'm a full fledged volunteer now at the nursing home.  They asked me to help out with taking some of the residents to a movie today - it was the remake of True Grit.  Glo-worm wasn't signed up for it so I didn't even tell her about it. She had no idea I was going.   I think she was a little surprised when I got off the elevator and wheeled Jeanette, her roommate, down the hall...  Glo just so happened to be standing at the nurses station when the elevator doors opened... I was totally busted.  She just looked at me and said - were you out with HIM all day? She constantly refers to her as a him... he did this... he did that.   Her niece in Chicago texted me the other day and said that Aunt Gloria told her mom that she has a man as a roommate! She doesn't get the connection that boys and girls don't live in the same room. Lately she seems to be much more confused and having trouble with word finding. It's pretty bad.

Anyway, four residents (all ladies) went to the movie... it was at a cute little theater affiliated with one of the independent living places in the North Hills. We rode the bus (which kind of makes me a sick) and I got acquainted with the wheel chair tie downs and how to operate the chair lift.  Pretzel, who I believe is 99, goes on all the trips.  She asked me how to spell my name when we were on the bus and I saw her write it down in a little note book. She went with us to see 42nd Street so I knew what was to come. When we got back and turned into the parking lot, she started singing For He's a Jolly Good Fellow...  and then she thanked everyone by adding their name into the song - the staff and driver and volunteers. She does this on every trip.  Too cute.

No comments: