Tuesday, July 2, 2013

182/365

SHE'S CRAFTY
I stopped into Glo's today and planned to stay for just a short time.  I had to talk to the activities lady so I brought Glo down to the second floor with me to try to find her... one of the other activities lady was making a craft.  She asked The Glo-worm if she wanted to make one and, of course, she didn't.  In fact, she said "I would rather kill myself than make one of those."  Thankfully, she didn't say it in front of anyone that could turn her in like last time but I don't know what I'm going to do with her mouth.  She just thinks she's being funny.  Anyway, she said I could make it for her.  Then one thing led to the next and I was helping out for the next couple hours - cutting and gluing and making these little patriotic dolls.

Glo and I finally went back upstairs and Mary saw Glo's and wanted to make one so I wheeled Mary down and had Glo come along again... Mary couldn't remember her grandson's name - all she knew was it was an Italian name (Orlando?  Lorenzo?) but she said he was 3 so that's the block I used. I think it was my best creation.

I made a few more for some of the residents. One of the daughters that was with her 100 year old mom thought I was the art therapist so I guess I looked like I knew what I was doing.

Alice is one of my favorite ladies there...  She made one earlier...

She added hair to hers because she wanted to make an exact replica of herself.  I think it looks just like her!

I am totally in love with this lady! She said she made one for her husband too but "he's not going to get to see it because he's dead." She put it on her nightstand. She said she loved making things when she was little and her mom would always make a fuss and tell her brothers and sisters to put everything they made in the kitchen because she was always in the kitchen and this way she could admire everything all the time.  She talks about her mom and dad and brothers and sisters and her husband all the time. I think she said she was married for 60+ years... she tells me stories about her father singing at the Enright theater in East Liberty and how he got a 15 minute standing ovation for singing a song in Italian while holding a little baby and the baby reached up and touched her dad's face at the end of the song and the crowd loved it.  She always asks if I'm Glo's granddaughter. I tell her every time that I'm her niece and she said she has a lot of nieces and nephews herself.  She never had children. She had some sort of accident when she was young and something fell on her stomach.  She ended up having a hysterectomy at age 14. She asks me all the time if I have any children and her roommate always gets mad at her and says it's rude to ask because if I don't it might make me sad.  Every time she asks me and I tell her no she asks if it makes me sad. I just nod at her and say yes. ;-(

No comments: