Thursday, November 13, 2014

I had an appointment with my medical oncologist today... the appointment was early (first time slot) and I still ended up waiting three hours! Again, as usual, I was the only one there in the waiting room by myself.  Don't get me wrong I'm not 100% opposed to that  - I just think it's kind of funny.  There are all different people there - those waiting for a consult for their treatment plan, those getting chemo, ones just visiting the doctor for followup... There had to be 10 patients in there already by the time I got there at 9 am.  Everyone had one, two, three, even four people with them - just along for the ride.  Or giving them a ride or just there to support them and go to lunch after. ;-)

Then there was me.

An older lady went back to get her vitals taken and left her friend or sister or whoever she brought sitting next to me.  She looked over and asked who I was there with... who I was waiting for.  I told her I was actually the patient and she made a big fuss asking why I came by myself.  Out of all the people that I could have sat next to I questioned why I actually sat by her.

They brought me back to the patient rooms and this was my view for the next 2 1/2 hours.

After the appointment, I met Chrissy at Mohan's for lunch and then we went to The Dad's - we got everything out of the garage... loaded it into both cars, put everything else in the gameroom and threw some stuff away... Still can't get to the work bench and don't look in the gameroom  but we did it!

The Dad came home and seemed ok... He gave Chrissy a hug and told her she was a fucking genius (a term he fondly used for her brother) and he went up to get changed. I put the car in the garage... which to his defense - is harder than I thought it was - I think this was only the second time I did it.

We left to go to storage and he was getting changed in the bedroom... I told him I had some leftovers from lunch so if he wanted a snack to have that... When I called later, he said it was nasty.

It wasn't.

I called a couple more times through the night - between 4-7,  I guess... he told me to bring back a salad for him...

I got back to the house and he was back in the bedroom sitting on the chair trying to put his pants on... I asked if he was ok  - he bull dog grumbled something and blew me off. I thought it was a little weird that he was back where I left him...though he did tell me he went in to shave and got dizzy.

After about 20 minutes he went in the bathroom where he was for about the same amount of time... I was checking my email and I heard him come out of the bathroom and take a few steps and BOOM... I heard him fall to the ground -  by the time I got in the living room he was kind of rolling over on the floor asking how he got there.

I think the fucking giant teddy bear broke his fall... he must have fallen on it b/c all of the toys I went through to give to the orphan dogs were all over the place - they were on the teddy bear waiting to be bagged up.

Putting the pieces together that he seemed weird when I got back, the (what he called nasty) food was still on the dining room table and he just seemed a little out of it -  I told him to stay on the floor, stepped over him and called 911.

Those that know him well know one of his favorite sayings is "I'm going down."

Well, he did.

No comments: