Friday, September 3, 2010

269/365

REGRESSION
It was Janel's first high school game tonight. It's been awhile since I've been to a high school game. We were told to wear black. Franklin Regional's people wore white... There were girls in too tight clothing and boys taking their shirts off... Kids that shouldn't be drinking that were and parents that wanted to but couldn't.

It was a little surreal. Even though I could have been a "mom" sitting there it was like going back in time. I couldn't help thinking about Denise at the games and how crazy she would get and Danny and Dave coming over Tara's and plucking me out of the board game after the football game night with Mark and everyone wondering what the hell was going on and probably a little frightened by the whole thing...

Who doesn't want to be back in high school - for awhile at least??? Friday night - bright lights - a chill in the air. Kids looking to be seen and drama everywhere... No worries - all fun... at least until Sunday night rolls around and you have to get your homework done!

That must be why everyone likes all the high school movies... I do. I mean we all want to relive the glory days a little bit I think. The road ahead of you is endless - you have every possibility in front of you. If you fail you're not really terribly accountable - brush yourself off and start over again. Those movies are either you or what you wanted to be... You can escape and have it all without really committing - at least for a couple hours. The idea of raising that big old boom box over your head like John Cusack... or having a day off like Ferris Bueller. Mean Girls and Heathers and Dead Poets... Oh Captain! My Captain! It doesn't get better than that.

By the way..."Who has a seahorse as a mascot?"
I later found out it was a mustang. Plum Seahorses does sound a little stupid.

The "seahorse" had a bit of a crush on my Dad I think.

She was awfully friendly... ;-)

The girls were great - looking cute in their little floppy hair bows!

Olivia

Janel

From the stands, I watched all those kids rushing by ready to conquer the world or the next few years ahead of them. Recreating themselves if they chose to or hiding in the background not quite ready to figure out who they want to be.

I was reminded of lunches with Leslie and the dreams I STILL have of not knowing where my classes are and I remembered the detention we had to serve when Scott stuck a pencil in the door knob and broke it off so we didn't have to go back to French class after lunch... The perfect students were always a little bit bad and the losers undoubtably had to think about what it would be like to be homecoming queen...

No matter what "grade" you are in... ask yourself this: Who do you think you are? It's all the same. Year after year... decade after decade. "In the simplest terms and in the most convenient definitions... each one of us is a brain... and an athlete... and a basket case... a princess... and a criminal."

As it should be.

Sincerly yours,
J

No comments: