Sunday, August 25, 2013

236/365

DEJA VU
Day two at PSU... the kids had Chrissy's car filled along with the car top carrier yesterday... today was her car again and Ted's car and Joe's Dad's giant box truck - all completely filled... and we still had a few things left we could have taken! I wasn't expecting getting home at 3 am but by the time we left their apartment it looked like they had lived there forever so it was worth it.

I've been moving the Murphy children in and out of their dorms/apartments/houses for awhile now... I guess it's the closest I'll get to sending my own kids off to college.  It's always a little bittersweet.

When we were over my cousin's house the other day, I was thinking that The Dad is never going to be a Grandfather. His nephew is soon to be one twice over. That has to be weird for him.  He's had grandfather like moments - His nephew, Jonathon, bringing his army helmet and his "super bowl ring" to school for show and tell - the ring was really just a junky Steeler ring I got at a Santa's Workshop downtown for him when I was little but Jon was convinced otherwise. Or when Chrissy's Michael interviewed him and brought his biscotti recipe and cookies in for cooking class last year or when Janel would come over and raid his hats for crazy hat day.  Katherine tells the story about how she used to go over to his house when she was little and he would always try to feed her and how he gave her freeze pops all the time. These kids grew up in front of him too.

I got to the house pretty late last night and as soon as I walked in I could smell wedding soup. I've been telling The Dad I wanted him to make it so he surprised me and made it while I was gone.  He said there was a bag on the dining room table - something he got at the store when he went to get the stuff for soup and wanted me to bring it to Katherine today. I knew before I peeked inside what it was. ♥

No comments: