Tuesday, June 8, 2010

159/365



I love my dog! She really is a good puppy. I remember when I thought she'd never sleep in. Now that I'm getting up at 6 am sometimes I have to go in and wake her up at 10! She loves to ride in the car and falls asleep before we even get out of the driveway - she can barely stay up long enough to get her seat belt on! She's the biggest dog "sigher" I know. Not that I know that many dogs. ;-) She's a happy pup.

This email has been floating around for awhile now... I always think of Lily when I read it.

PUPPY SIGHS

"She keeps repeating it over and over again. We've been back to this shelter at least five times. It has been weeks now since we started all of this," the woman told the volunteer.

"What is it she keeps asking for?" she asked.

"Puppy size!"

"We have plenty of puppies, if that's what she's looking for,"

"I know. We have seen most of them," she said in frustration.

Just then the young child came walking in the office.

"Well, did you find one?"

"No, not this time," she said with sadness in her voice.

"Can we come back on the weekend?"

The two women looked at each other, shook their heads and laughed.

"You never know when we will get more dogs."

Her mother had already started down the hall lo leave just as another volunteer handed one last puppy to the little girl.

"Oh, yes," said the girl after a moment.

"This is the one. This is my new puppy!"

A cheer went up from the volunteers. Startled by all the commotion, Mom came running.

"This is the one, Mom," her daughter told her.

"What? Are you sure? How do you know?" she asked.

"It's the puppy sighs!"

"Yes, it the same size as all the other puppies you held the last few weeks," Mom said.

"No, not 'size,' 'sighs.' When I held him in my arms he sighed," she said. "So?" "Don't you remember? When I asked you one day what love is, you told me, "Love depends on the sighs of your heart. The more you love, the bigger the sighs!"

The two women looked at each other for a moment. Mom didn't know whether to laugh or cry. As she stooped down to hug her child she
did a little of both.

"Mom every time you hold me I sigh. When you and Daddy come home from work and hug each other you both sigh. I knew I would find the right puppy if it sighed when I held it in my arms," she said.

Then holding the puppy up close to her face she said, "Mom, he loves me. I heard the sighs of his heart."

Close your eyes for a moment and think about the love that makes you sigh. I not only find it in the arms of my loved ones, but in the caress of a sunset, the kiss of the moonlight and the gentle brush of cool air on a hot day.

They are the sighs of your heart. The more you love, the bigger the sighs.

"SIGHS OF THE HEART" ~ by Bob Perks


Lily wears her heart on her forehead. ♥♥♥

No comments: