Wednesday, June 23, 2010

174/365

CONNECTED

I was thinking about this yesterday with David's ability to email from 30,000 feet...

Were we better off when we couldn't?

I mean I would be the FIRST one in line paying for the service but in a world where most (I'm talking general population here - no one in particular) are trying to breath from every day normal life - it kind of would be nice to just have a couple hours to not have to be so connected...

I'm a COMPULSIVE email checker myself so I'm NOT pointing fingers. That little beep on my iphone is like music to my ears. I'm just saying - why is it necessary for us to always be in touch? I haven't figured that out yet... ;-)

Did you hear about that guy that stopped in the middle of his wedding ceremony to update his facebook status to say "he was now officially married and about to kiss the bride" or something like that??? I know it was a joke and probably a well devised plan to get his 15 minutes of (YouTube) fame and, yes, it was kind of cute, but really...when you think about it - How stupid? That will be a wedding video to cringe over 25 years from now.

A friend of mine took a facebook hiatus. It wasn't for long and he's back on now. I kind of think it's a good idea. Who really cares what anyone is doing and why do we feel the need to announce our every move to the world? I like sending birthday wishes but does it really matter if 100 people tell me to enjoy my birthday - like I might forget to celebrate if I'm not reminded!?! All these people that "are biking through wine country, sipping a merlot, antiquing and enjoying some sun shine" are either really great multi-taskers or just big blabber mouths. Sometimes I just want to say get off the damn phone and just go ENJOY the wine country! Post the pictures and we'll all lurk and see you had the best time ever.

Again, I'm all for the ability to connect but sometimes you need to cut the cord - or at least dis-connect a little bit. I was going through some Penn State stuff a couple days ago and came across my old phone bills - $400+ phone bills! This was BEFORE cell phones and text messaging charges and internet connections. Just pure old fashioned phone calls. My mother and I were the queens of the phone lines. We even had our own personal 800 number. I remember when the first video phones came out - they were on QVC 20 years ago. We always talked about getting them and never did. I'm really surprised we didn't. They looked something like this.


Did you see the new iPhone FaceTime video ad? My mother and I would have been all over that.

So, no offense to anyone that wants to tell the world that they just ate 5 pop tarts for breakfast or some other ridiculous tidbit of information... I guess if that's what you enjoy go ahead and do it. And no offense to the 34 people that logged on to this blog last night because I take it you all are reading what I have to say... Personally, I'm finding it all a little to intrusive and am considering making this private for awhile at least... I don't know - still need to think about that.

Some facebook humor in the meantime... I came across this the other day.
10 signs you're too stupid to be on facebook

No comments: