Monday, June 28, 2010

179/365

LABYRINTH

Remember the game Labyrinth? I used to love that. Carey and I used to play that all the time. That isn't what this post is about though. ;-)

Unlike the game - which is technically a maze, I guess, because there are multiple choices - Labyrinths have one way in and one way out. They are a walking meditation. We walked the labyrinth a couple years ago at the Edgar Cayce Center in Virginia Beach.



A few years back, my reflexologist, Dorit Brauer, traveled cross country (on a motorcycle) and walked 46 labyrinths. That's a road trip! She designed and built the (seven circuit) one at the Cameron Wellness Center in Washington, PA. It was intentionally moved (aka vandalized - but she wanted to keep it positive so she didn't use the V word...) She re-built it and today was the rededication ceremony.


There were 12 of us plus Dorit. She did a brief history, read more about labyrinths here, an opening and closing meditation and played the singing bowls as we all walked it.

We were told your reflection and release continues after you have finished walking the path - for days later. I did some shopping after and realized I forgot to take a picture of the sign that went with the labyrinth - those that know me know that the "sign" is just as important as the actual picture! Anyway, on my way home I went back to the Center and as soon as I got out of the car it started pouring... I didn't know if that was the heavens crying or the rain washing the past away... maybe it was a little of both. I never did get that picture, though. ;-)

The ride back reminded me of a crazy ride on that road not too long ago so I decided to stop and "feed my soul" with something really BAD - french fries and a chocolate milkshake from McDonald's - which I haven't had in a very long time. That only made matters worse because as I drove out I saw tables that reminded me of this from several years ago:


She really was a traveling dog... Lily has some big paws to fill and needs to get out and see the sights a little more... The trail at the Center is dog friendly so I'm thinking Lily may have to go for a ride soon and we'll get that picture after all!

To find a labyrinth near you... check out the World-Wide Labyrinth Locator.

No comments: