Saturday, May 5, 2012

126/365

"LIVE FROM NEW YORK..."

Brother had his friends over for dinner tonight. While we were watching an almost 50 year old Anthony Kiedis and crew (who BTW as I googled him to find out old he was, I discovered we share the same bday) get inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame, I was thinking about this...

Back in the day, we would take turns with the Knapps... Every Saturday night we would go over each other's houses... it usually involved eating and Dunkin Donuts and HBO and reading the sale ads of the Sunday paper.  It would be late when we would get home because we would usually watch Saturday Night Live... I also remember running into the house when we got back - for some reason I always thought a car was going to pass by the house and the driver would shoot me dead... I still think of that every time I come home late and I think that is why, to this day, I prefer driveways in the back of the house!  I was paranoid even when I was young, I guess! ;-)   Anyway, there are many memorable skits from SNL but I've been looking for a clip of something for a long time... it was called The Bulge from Season 10 - Episode 1. John Belushi stuffs his pants with toilet paper in a bathroom in a bar and comes walking out and all the ladies go crazy. I've searched for it and can't find it anywhere.. I also google discovered that the Thompson Twins were the musical guest. It aired 10/6/1984.  I remember watching it there and all laughing like crazy.  

That was my childhood or, at least, my childhood Saturday nights.  ;-)



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have searching for a video of that skit for years. In fact I found this entry because I was searching for it!

It is a fond childhood memory for me and as I recall, that skit really pushed the limits for the time.

Anonymous said...

I have referred to the Belushi "Bulge" skit, many times through the years & no-one knew what I was talking about!! Actually hunting for it now & came across this.

Unknown said...

If anyone can find a link to it, please share it. I saw it once replayed on TV but never again and every place I have searched comes up zero

Josh Fofer said...

Apparently at least some part of that skit is included on the "Saturday Night Live Lost & Found: SNL in the 80's" DVD.

Available from Amazon.com here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ZOXDFU/ref=nosim/appleink/

More detailed info on the clips included: http://snltranscripts.jt.org/specials/lostfound80s3.phtml

Anonymous said...

SNL just released an app and I was searching for this skit. Still can't find it!