Tuesday, May 15, 2012

136/365

TOT - TEN+ ON TUESDAY (King of Prussia edition)

1. Katherine asked if we wanted to go on a road trip and take her and Lauren to a concert in Upper Darby, PA.

I debated for about one second since it was so close to surgery week but other than that - no arms were twisted in the making of this trip. We decided to stay in King of Prussia - we were familiar with it and it is wasn't in "ho-ville" - as Chrissy called the other areas  - plus then we had to go shopping.  Had to.

2. I got some fun things at the mall... a carved face eye glass holder for my dad b/c he's always losing his glasses... a space pen for me... a cookie jar for the bud.  She has a bunch of toys like this that have things inside.. a tree with birds, bees in a hive... she LOVES these cookies!


3. I wanted to stop in Bass Pro on our way down and say hi to the fishy but we were under time constraints.  Turns out my GPS was set to avoid traffic - which was fine with me... I'd much rather take the back roads than the highway.

Katherine had us cracking up and said it was set to "Life Experiences."  We wouldn't have all the stories we had if it was set differently.  When we ended up in the ghetto I told Chrissy we just had to act like we knew where we were and to remember that the priest told me to "trust" so maybe it was for directions... she didn't agree and didn't like that I kept putting the window down to take pictures of random street art and other things that caught my fancy.

She did, however, act like she knew where she was when the "GPS Bitch" brought us into a new (giant) townhouse development and we drove for miles until the street just ended. We all were about ready to pee our pants from laughing so hard.  She kept screaming you told me to trust and act like I knew where I was!

4. The original plan was to go into Philadelphia all day Saturday and have adventures there but the girls wanted to do more shopping... so they missed out on seeing the town. ;-(


5.  I think I totally could have stayed in the room all weekend... love the Hyatt Place rooms with the spinnable tv to the beds on one side and the lounge on the other...


6. We dropped the girls off for the show and drove to The Piazza in Northern Liberties.  NoLibs! Our route was a little sketchy but once we started seeing the outdoor seating we knew we were ok.  Chrissy is a pro at backing into the good parking spots on the trendy streets of this land. "We are so urban." ;-)  Went to Darling's Diner.  Best Hot Turkey Sandwich ever.  Seriously. Ever.


7. Come hell or high water - I was going to go to Wegman's... I was reminiscing about all the grocery stores I've been too.. a lot were in that area on visits to the Turnpike/Harrisburg, etc... (BTW - Harrisburg, Hershey, Gettysburg - still up there for my favorite places.) I would love when David would go to a meeting and I would scout out the local grocery store. Anyway, I saw that the Wegman's just opened up in King of Prussia last week so I was super excited... luckily we all had the munchies after we picked the girls up and it was open 24 hours! I heart you, Wegmans!


8. I get silly in the car if I don't eat constantly - silly or I want to fall asleep.  There were some big birds flying above... I called the first one (and every other) I saw EAGLEbert Humperdinck and there just so happened to be a statue in his honor right outside our window...

9. Plus after Chrissy showed me her black and blue mark on her leg - that got christened BRUISE Springsteen... I had Bruce on my mind after seeing this on our way there...


10. Speaking of license plates... this little piggy was near Drexel...


11. Speaking of pigs I got a little chanchito three legged pig from Chili in the 10,000 villages store... (and another in the Chinese store)  let's hope his luck rubs off on me... he was sent to market but he didn't have enough meat on him because he only had three legs... nobody wanted him so he got to live.  I felt a special connection to him.


12. We had a late dinner Friday night and for the meals that the girls and I got they give you another or the same to take home... so we had our leftovers and the take home dinners and two desserts to take back with us - 9 containers!  We actually bought coolers at Wegmans and brought it home and it was just as good.


13. The good thing about being a passenger on a road trip... you can eat mashed potatoes in the car.  Very enjoyable.  ;-)
14. RoadSide America has always been a favorite app of mine and I introduced the girls to it... I was surprised at how many things I've seen all these years... Next time we are using it and not caring how long of a "detour" we take.

It's not the destination - it's the journey (and the "life experiences.")  Good trip.

No comments: