Monday, March 26, 2012

86/365

ISN'T IT IRONIC?
Every time I pass by Magee I think of the night I had the big bleed and had to go to the ER...everything turned out to be ok then. I remember coming back to the car and there was glass shattered - someone must have tried to break into a car in the parking lot... I can't remember everything anymore but I think we stopped at Mineos on the way home. The last time I was at that hospital was a week later. Everything wasn't ok - in more ways than one.

I had my MRI today at that same hospital... I thought it was a little ironic that, right before I went in, there was a segment on the waiting room tv about preserving your fertility before cancer treatments. Right there, I realized I was screwed. How many years I/we tried and now this is going to be the end... in so many ways. The MRI wasn't too bad. Thankfully, the IV went in with no problem this time. I did, about half way through, when I felt the warmth of the dye go in, say to myself - I don't want to do this anymore. I'm sure I'll be saying that again - it hasn't even really started yet.

The thing that hurt the most was my finger. I didn't really have any idea as far as prep at this place since the appointment was changed at the last minute, but I assumed you couldn't have any jewelry on.... I tried for almost 2 hours late last night to get my ring off.
I tried everything I could think of and everything that came up in a google search...
Dawn, ice water, Windex, saran wrap, olive oil, string, butter. NOTHING worked. I watched you tube videos and read nursing tips and held my hand over my head. I finally gave up around 2 am. This morning I woke up and it was freezing so I held the cold fence while Lily went potty - thought, for sure, I would go back in the house and it would come off... No such luck. Then I tried epson salts and warm water to try to get the self induced swelling to go down... then I tried everything else I tried last night again.

This picture doesn't even show how sore and swollen it is. In reality, it looks like one of those throbbing thumb pictures you see in cartoons when someone hits their thumb with a hammer.
I'm going to give it a couple days and try again.

Funny thing was... I walked into the MRI room and told the girl that I've been trying to get my ring off for hours and it's just not coming off.

I think you can figure out what she said...

"That's not a problem - you can leave it on."

No comments: