Monday, October 25, 2010

321/365

FROM THIS DAY FORWARD
Today would have been my parent's 41st wedding anniversary. I found their cake topper in the china cabinet.
Sometimes I think I'm the only person that actually wants to be married... all you see are ridiculous people that act like they can't stand being with the person they are with. I was never one to see if someone had a wedding ring on but, recently, I've been looking around when I am out. I was in Target and every couple (young and old) was fighting... or ten steps behind the other rolling their eyes and disgusted... or screaming at their kids and just wanting to get the hell out of there. It's really aggravating.

I often wonder what their excuses are to stay together... probably the tried and true - staying together for the kids song and dance or the sit around and wait and hope something will magically change routine or the poor me don't know if I can make it on my own bit... I'm sure there's a million of them. Just as there are a million reasons to quit.

What happened to "till death do us part?" or "for richer or poorer?" or "in sickness and in health?" I don't mean that as a joke. I'm completely serious. If you want to consider sacred contracts and commitments and promises... marriage should be right there at the front of the line. Why is it so easily discarded?

I don't think that anyone walks down that aisle with the hopes of their marriage falling apart and believe me, I'm not saying that I did everything right in mine. It just seems like people today put more time and dedication and effort into their kids sporting events or their work responsibilities or whatever else they make a conscious effort to create and maintain than they do with their marriage. You only get what you give. My parents, on the other hand, had an unexpected stop in their marriage. They had no choice in the matter. My mother died 2 months before what would have been their 25th anniversary.

I found this article online that went through each of the big VOWS and kind of explains it better than I can. You can read it by clicking here.

For those of you planning to get married - think about what you are doing and if you are committed enough to keep your promise and vow. Those of you that are married - what did your marriage vows mean to you? Then and now?

Or did you just get married for the cookies? ;-)

No comments: