Wednesday, January 19, 2011

19/365

LET THE SUNSHINE IN
More often than not - when I go to the cemetery the sun comes out. Even on a yucky day. I don't know if that means any more than the sun was shining when I went there but I just thought I would mention it.

One of my 40 things to do this year is to spend the day at a cemetery and take pictures... pictures of the names, dates, stones, statues, items left on the grave, etc... I don't know yet where I want to do this and by day I mean a couple hours... just wandering around. I'm thinking I should wait until it's nicer out and more people are around (enter my fear of being killed in strange places) though I kind of want to do different seasons so the snow may be nice too.

I love the old pictures on the stones and wonder how they died and what their families were like...

These pictures were from a couple months ago. We always took care of this stone even though no one knew who he was...
From when I was a little girl I remember going up to the cemetery - sometimes with picnic lunches and coolers - to "take care" of the graves. The "Tedesco Boy" was next to my Grandmother's Father's stone - it was never taken care of so she always did it, then my mother after her and now me. I was always enchanted by that little lamb and I remember being so excited to tie palm around the lamb's neck and can still see myself doing that and skipping away.

All we know is that this boy was born in 1922 and died in 1925... he would have been 89 this year. There are a lot of babies in this section - all born in the 20s or 30s. I always wonder what he would have done or any of them for that matter - what their lives would have been like if they survived.

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? - every, every minute?"
Our Town - Thornton Wilder

----------------------------
Since I was talking about The Raven, I thought I would add this article. Today is Edgar Allan Poe's Birthday - he would have been 202. ( I was confused by the dates on the tombstone and the fact that the article was dated tomorrow and thought maybe I was in an alternate universe a day ahead and then I realized it's from Australia.)

No comments: