Sunday, January 8, 2012

8/365

I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR
Many, many years ago Matt's friend, Chuck, called me a hippie chick. I can't remember where we were... I think we were at the Decade, maybe, for some show. I don't know if it was a put down or a compliment at the time. That crossed my mind the other day. I'm not sure why I even remember it but I do. When we went to Lizzie's award ceremony awhile back I said I would have been a kick-ass woman's study major. I don't even know if it was an option 23 years ago, but if I could go back in time I think I would have considered it - hippie chick or not.

This art project for the past week has been about our inner goddesses... There's a mixed media art component for each lesson as well as a self-nurturing/healing exercise. I can't believe the amount of people that are having a problem with this. It's kind of making me sad to see some completely stressing out because they can't come up with any positive qualities about themselves.

I, on the other hand, had absolutely no problem... ;-)

In fact, when I had to turn the page over to continue I thought maybe I should add "I'm a little conceited" to my list. It made me think though. I never had issues with self esteem (except maybe wanting to be a little taller and freaking if I didn't have the right outfit to wear!) I never really cared what others thought... well, just one. Yet, many of the things I listed as my most positive qualities were those that I've heard I don't possess. I still don't understand how that is. It shouldn't matter if I know the truth - but it does. That's what hurts me the most.

So, for those of you that are having a hard time coming up with something - think a little more... This whole start of the new year is usually about resolutions and changing things you don't like about yourself... What do you like?

No comments: