Thursday, May 13, 2010

133/365

WHEN I GROW UP...

When I was young I always wanted to be a veterinarian and a gymnast and a nurse. And I remember a time when I wanted to be a concert violinist, a fashion designer and a professional ice skater. None of those things even seem remotely appealing to me now but I can see how they were back then. ;-)

I have a sign in my craft room that says WHAT WOULD YOU ATTEMPT TO DO IF YOU COULD NOT FAIL? I think that's probably one of my biggest concerns - not succeeding in what I do... Because I'm a perfectionist and because I don't want people to be disappointed in me. Not that anyone ever would be. ;-)

But how do you get started?

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

I was reading an art book (when am I not reading one?!?) and it talked about just that... "taking a single step is the key to getting to a new place. One step. Not some painful scary leap over an abyss, not something in the far distance or in the vast unforeseen future whenever you're finally ready. You take the step... NOW." Not when you get a new computer, or better paint or a bigger studio. You can come up with a huge list of things to stop you and it leads you down a dead-end road... You have to make the step. "The ethereal steps are in our thinking: the next step is talking out loud, and the real steps are in our actions." You can think about writing a book forever and talk about it for years. But until you sit down to write the first word and commit yourself to the process, it's not going to materialize on it's own.

It's funny though because the one thing that holds me back (and a lot of other people too, I would think) is the one thing that you have total control over. You can't just sit around and wait for something to happen. You have to make it happen. And why not start making that happen today???

I tried to resist but I can't so I'll put it out there... NO DAY BUT TODAY.

No comments: