Friday, May 28, 2010

148/365

COMFORT & JOY
I've been trying to think of all my COMFORT foods... Glo and I went out awhile ago and I can't remember what I ordered but it was something that didn't quite go with mashed potatoes because when I ordered a side of them the waitress looked at me kind of funny and said, "it's your lunch!?!?" They definitely are my go-to food of choice.

Anyway, what brings you comfort and what comfort foods would you want as your last meal?

I would want:
Pork chops and applesauce (made by me)
Baked chicken, mashed potatoes and corn (made by my mother)
A baby reuben from Bado's
White pizza from Azzeria
A cheese steak from North Carolina and CC Peppers and Bubba's and while we're at it Mineo's
Daddy's Cuccaro, Pan e mal and General Tso's chicken
The stuffed rigatoni from that place in Williamsburg
Crispy cornflake french toast from Wolfgang Puck's
An almond torte from Prandtl's
One of those little pig cakes from Naa's
Cinnamon ice cream from King's
Iced tea from the Cheesecake Factory

... and I think I would make some rice krispie treats which I rarely ever have unless we are in Florida and they are in the shape of Mickey Mouse... I still have the pot that I made them in 30+ years ago. I can see myself sitting up on the kitchen counter right next to the stove - stirring away. I never could get rid of that pot for that reason...

OK, now I'm thinking about Jiffy Pop popcorn... and Spaghetti O's (NO meatballs)... Kraft macaroni and Cheese in the blue box... We didn't have much junk food when I was little - my grandmother always lived with us so she was always cooking and then my dad took over but I do remember those things and those strange foil tv dinners with the little dessert in them. I remember getting those on Saturday nights some times as a treat! ;-)

My mother had a few things she would make... the chicken (above) and a beef stew and beef-a-roni... I will always remember her draining the macaroni and screaming and laughing because she forgot to put the colander in the sink and it all went down the drain! I obviously got my cooking skills from my Dad and my friends on the Food Network. ;-)

No comments: