Monday, May 2, 2011

122/365

SIGN OF THE TIMES

Was it strange that the crowd at the baseball game last night realized that osama bin laden was dead by looking at their phones... not really - since everyone is so connected and can't seem to just do one thing at a time - like watch a baseball game. Was it weird that the score was 1 - 1 in the 9th inning... 911 - between two teams from NY and PA - both involved in the September 11th attacks? A little. Was it a sign from God? I don't know. I was like many last night and found out on facebook that Osama or is it Usama... I never know. I do like the UBL thing but whatever.. Anyway I, too, found out on facebook that he was dead. I was watching River Monsters and didn't get the interruption on the breaking news. Luckily, I was multi-tasking as well and saw the news on my phone.

I was kind of disturbed at the USA - USA chanting, though. I really don't know what to think. That and all the stuff in front of the white house and times square... people in face paint and climbing poles... I mean it was no different than the "evil doers" dancing in the street when those buildings went down or the other planes hit the ground and the pentagon... it just didn't feel right.

Don't get me wrong... I'm ALL for killing him and his entire family. I think we should celebrate the ones that have been searching for him and should celebrate the guy that went in there like chuck norris and shot him in the head. I always wanted to be a sniper - must have been from all those movies my dad and I watched when I was a kid. Carrying on like this, though...
It's weird to me. I don't know - call me a party pooper. I didn't mind seeing the boys at west point running around like lunatics - I thought that was cute... and I guess it's a free country so I shouldn't really be concerned what others do... Still, watching it now on tv - I'm irritated by it - so I thought I should mark the day by mentioning it. I guess it IS justice and closure and all of that but it may just be the beginning of something else too. I'm sure there are many waiting in the wings to step into his place that have learned his secrets these past 9 years, 7 months and how ever many days it's been.

I know - I should just turn the tv off and go to bed or read my little blue folder... instead I'm on the computer with the tv on and my phone by my side. The buzz on twitter is this quote... half made up = half real...

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
~ Martin Luther King Jr.

It's a lovely message but yet another sign of the times and another thing gone viral in an instant... the power of smart phones. ;-)

I'm unplugging and going to bed. I can't see straight.

No comments: