Wednesday, May 4, 2011

124/365

L-M-N-O-PEE
Those of you that don't have dogs probably don't know about this... it's very difficult to get a urine sample from a dog. I had a trick with RoseBud - who had a few UTIs in her life. I would take her for a walk and when she would go up in the pachysandra (near stick man's house) I was usually able to "collect" it then. I was dreading trying to get it from Lily. She didn't like me following her around and was getting a little irritated with the whole process. She's a quick pee-er too... She circles around for about 20 minutes first and then just plops down so it's a little hard to calculate the perfect time to go in for the kill. I managed to get it this morning - I kind of just threw a bowl under her and got the biggest sample ever. I'm glad I did... turns out she has a pretty bad urinary tract infection. The Dr is hoping it's not bladder or kidney stones. We decided to wait on x-rays for the time being to see how she responds to this medicine so fingers/paws/dew-claws crossed that it doesn't come to that!

I am feeling a little strange today - like I'm spinning. I don't know what's going on. My head is pounding, my ear hurts, my left eye is almost completely closed. I am literally shaking... I don't know if it's the combination of antidepressants and caffeine or just a lot going on but you can actually see my hands and body shaking. It looks like I have Parkinson's - god forbid. I just feel really agitated. Plus I just overheard a "conversation" between my dad and the dog that made me uncomfortable to say the least. He was asking her what she was getting me for Mother's Day which was weird on many accounts, I guess. He asked her if she was going to take money out of his wallet because she didn't have a job and if she needed a ride to the store . ;-) I know he was just playing but, still, it bothered me. I remember many, many years ago... (probably 25-30 years ago - really?!?) my mother fighting with my dad because he said he didn't have to do anything for her because she wasn't HIS mother. I don't know why I remember that but I do! I also just think the whole "dog mom" thing is kind of weird. I know - of all people. I just kind of cringe when I hear it. Though, from what I've been through the last couple days with her - with this most recent health issue - it really isn't much different than taking care of a sick child. Anyway, there's a fairly popular poem in the dog community (a variation of the Before I was a Mom poem) and with mother's day fast approaching I might as well post it now.

Before I was a Dog Mom

Before I was a Dog Mom: I made and ate hot meals unmolested; I had unstained, unfurred clothes; I had quiet conversations on the phone, even if the doorbell rang.

Before I was a Dog Mom: I slept as late as I wanted and never worried about how late I got to bed... or if I could get into my bed.

Before I was a Dog Mom: I cleaned my house everyday, I never tripped over toys, stuffies, chewies, or invited the neighbor's dog over to play.

Before I was a Dog Mom: I didn't worry if my plants, cleansers, plastic bags, toilet paper, soap or deodorant were posionous or dangerous.

Before I was a Dog Mom: I had never been peed on, pooped on, drooled on, chewed on, or pinched by puppy teeth.

Before I was a Dog Mom: I had complete control of my thoughts, my body and my mind. I slept all night without sharing the covers or pillow.

Before I was a Dog Mom: I never looked into big, soulful eyes and cried. I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop a hurt. I never knew something so furry and four-legged could affect my heart so deeply.

Before I was a Dog Mom: I had never held a sleeping puppy just because I couldn't put it down. I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was well. I didn't know how warm it feels inside to feed a hungry puppy. I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important.

Before I was a Dog Mom: I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the wonderment, or the satisfaction of being a Dog Mom.

No comments: