Friday, December 10, 2010

344/365

TOY STORY
I've been thinking about Children's Palace for awhile now... Our last stop of the evening a couple weeks ago (on Black Friday) was Toys R Us and I've been thinking about Children's Palace ever since. Toys R Us was a bit of a disaster that night ... merchandise thrown everywhere, garbage all over near the entrance... still a lot of people in there - even late. I just got a really bad feeling when I walked in. Most shoppers were overworked, annoyed parents looking to get a deal on some toy of the day... I was irritated, of course, by some of them. I was back there again last night and started thinking the same thing... all the toys and games and baby stuff I bought from that place for all the kids that were in my life - and none for my own.

"What were you able to build with your blocks?
Castles and palaces, temples and docks.
Rain may keep raining, and others go roam,
But I can be happy and building at home.

Let the sofa be mountains, the carpet be sea,
There I'll establish a city for me:
A kirk and a mill and a palace beside,
And a harbour as well where my Vessels may ride..."

~ Block City - Robert Louis Stevenson - 1913

I've been thinking about this last pregnancy lately and how we never got to discuss what happened. That doesn't sit well with me. We found out the first was a boy, the second a girl but, even after weeks waiting for testing results, we never got to find out this one. I had a feeling, though. We named this one CJ - the initials of both our mothers. I figured that was unisex enough.

I was in Community Market tonight...
There was a ballon that broke free from all the others that were for sale and this one floated around (almost followed me) as I went through the produce department. Even with my penchant for all things inanimate "talking" to me, I was slightly creeped out by it and hesitated to see what it said. I looked up and (you can't tell from the picture) it said - it's a girl.

Maybe I was right.

No comments: