Saturday, December 18, 2010

352/265

EVERYTHING COMES OUT IN THE WASH
I read about Karen Maezen Miller and her Mama Zen book over a year ago on some fertility thing - she had difficulty conceiving and was in her 40s, I believe, when she got pregnant...

I hesitated to get her second (hand wash cold - instructions for an ordinary life) because I don't like the word ordinary.

I thought it was going to be another woe is me, my life is so hectic, just need to make time to stop and smell the roses song and dance. I figured I liked her first book, though, and think I needed something else for free shipping so I took it out of my saved items and went ahead and ordered it. That was months ago and I started it and kind of lost it in some box somewhere... I discovered it again and finished it last week and thought it was worth mentioning here.

On a side note, my mother LOVED doing laundry... loved it. I think if she could have done the neighbors laundry she would have. Those that know me well know I don't like doing laundry much... I never was quite good at it but I'm getting better.

Anyway, in one of the reviews it's billed as an Eat Pray Love "without the scurrying from something..." I think that's true for it. There is only one place. The one you're in. You don't have to journey off to far off lands to find it. You don't have to wait for your real life to start. It's in the kitchen and in the garden and the laundry. And, as the author says, you don't need a fancy front loading washer to live it. Though I am quite fond of those red ones!!! ;-) Anyway, the ordinary can be extraordinary.

The message behind this book is a simple concept much like the one that was presented to me some time ago. I liked this book for a lot of reasons... it's my favorite size and it's broken up into easily digestible little pieces and I'm a big metaphor girl so it was a win-win for me. I also liked what was in it. I would highly recommend it if you are interested.

Book information and video can be found by clicking here.

"Happiness is simple. Everything we do to find it is complicated." ~ Karen Maezen Miller

No comments: